Coconut...mmm - tastes just like summer! Add lemon and you've got yourself a sneaky (but healthy) treat! Lemon Slice was one of my absolute faves when I was younger; to be honest I would buy it a few days each week from the canteen at school. But little did I know the amount of sugar it contained. I was very naive back in the day, I would just eat crap all the time and thought I could get away with it. But now I know to eat in moderation; I treat myself occasionally and these are usually quite healthy as not only do the things I once ate not agree with me, but I take a wholefoods approach to life! Because I truly believe in real food that is as unprocessed as possible!
I hope you all enjoy this lemon slice, it will not disappoint! Even my brother loves it!
300 grams of shredded, desiccated or flaked coconut
200 grams of almonds
50 grams of coconut oil
50 grams of cacao butter (can be substituted for another 50 grams of coconut oil but cacao butter gives it a creamier texture!)
8 drops of Doterra lemon essential oil
1. To your food processor (I use my Thermomix) add 100 grams of coconut and 200 grams of almonds and blitz until a crumb forms. De-pip the dates and add them along with the whole lemon (don't worry about the pips they get completely blended up). Blend until mixture sticks together.
2. Line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin with baking paper and add the mixture, pressing down firmly with your hands. Add this base to the freezer for approximately 15 minutes or until firm.
3. Next, add to the food processor the remaining 200 grams of coconut and blend until a thick paste forms.
4. Fill a 1/4 of a small pot with water and bring to a simmer. To a metal/glass bowl, add the 50g of cacao butter and 50 grams of coconut oil, and place over the top of the pot. Stir gently until mixture has melted and combined.
5. Add the melted mixture to your food processor with the coconut and blend until combined.
6. To a seperate bowl, add the coconut mixture and the 8 drops of lemon essential oil.
7. Pour this coconut mixture over the top of the slice and place in the freezer for another 30 minutes. Slice up and enjoy! Best stored in the fridge for up to a week/freezer for up to 3 months.