Being gluten-free myself, I am constantly turning to buckwheat as an alternative to the traditional choice of gluten containing grains. A few years back I enjoyed baked oats however they weren't working for my gut, so buckwheat was my go to!
The other morning I woke up and felt like baked custard (random I know) as well as baked oats so I developed this this delicious baked buckwheat breakfast. With the addition of carob powder, this chocolatey treat is sweet enough as it is, no sweetener required!
- 1/3 cup buckwheat groats soaked in 1/3 cup of water overnight
- 1/3 cup of your chosen milk (I used almond mylk)
- 1/2 banana
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon of carob powder
- 1 teaspoon of maca powder
- 1 teaspoon of cacao butter
1. Preheat your oven to 175 degrees celsius.
2. Add all ingredients to a blender apart from the buckwheat and blend until combined.
3. Using a sieve, drain the buckwheat and give it a rinse until the slimy residue runs clear. Add to the mixture and stir (do not blend!!).
4. To a small baking dish add the mixture and bake for 30 minutes or until browned on top.
5. Enjoy topped with some berries and coconut yogurt or whatever other toppings you desire!