Baked Italian Meatballs
Meatballs are such a comforting meal. Packed full of essential nutrients such as protein and antioxidants, this meal is a perfect Winter Warmer! Simply prepare the ingredients and put in the oven. You can also choose to use whatever minced meat you desire - for this one kangaroo mince! Being a game meat, kangaroo is open range and harvested from it's natural environment, meaning it's free from antibiotics, added growth hormones and chemicals. With more iron, twice as much B12, and higher levels of most other B vitamins than any other meat, Kangaroo is a meat woman should definitely enjoy as part of a balanced diet!
- 1 red onion
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of Italian Herb Mix
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of sumac
- 2 carrots
- 3 sticks of celery
- 1kg Kangaroo mince
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 bottle of tomato passata sauce (700g)
- 2 tablespoons of pine nuts
1. Heat your oven to 150 degrees celsius.
2. In a blender (I use my Thermomix), add the onion, garlic cloves, carrots and celery, and blend until completely chopped.
3. To a bowl, add the blended mixture, herbs and spices, kangaroo mince, chia seeds and tomato paste. Using your hands, mix until well combined.
4. Roll the mixture into balls and place in a baking dish. Top with passata sauce and sprinkle with pine nuts.
5. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour. Enjoy this recipe with your favourite sides such as some mashed sweet potato and steamed greens.