Gluten-Free Chicken Schnitzel
Going gluten-free can be difficult. Suddenly your favourite meals that contain gluten are no longer an option, and your stuck wishing you could have them once again. Growing up, chicken schnitzel was one of my favourite meals; Mum used to make it once a week and I looked forward to it!
Recently, I came up with an absolutely delicious gluten-free take on this meal. Whilst it does take some time, I can promise you that it's totally worth it!
- 1kg of chicken breasts
- 2 cups of quinoa flakes
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Herbamere to season (alternatively you could just use seasalt)
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1/3 cup buckwheat flour
- Olive oil to fry
1. Preheat the oven to 100 degrees celsius
2. Cut the chicken breasts into in half long ways, then in half again
3. Get 3 separate bowls; one for the buckwheat flour, another the 3 whisked eggs, and a third for the quinoa flakes, combined withe the garlic powder, thyme, oregano and Herbamere
4. First, coat the chicken in the flour, then the egg and then the quinoa flake mixture. Repeat this for each piece.
5. Heat a frying pan at medium heat, add the olive oil, and fry each piece of chicken on both sides until just browned.
6. Place the chicken on baking trays lined with baking paper and place in the over for 20 minutes.
7. This meal is perfect served with a side of sweet potato chips and a green salad.